- About Us
- Employment Opportunities
Join an Innovative Nonprofit That Is Changing the Nonprofit Sector!
GuideStar is the number 1 source of nonprofit information, with information on more than 1.8 million organizations.
As we celebrate our 20th anniversary, we are evolving our vision and embarking on a bold strategic initiative to expand our information and knowledge generation to enable greater social impact.
If you want to use your skills and expertise to affect social change, join us.
How to Apply
Unless noted otherwise below, e-mail cover letter, résumé, and salary guidelines in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you prefer to mail your application, send these materials to:
4801 Courthouse Street, Suite 220
Williamsburg, VA 23188
GuideStar USA Inc. is EEO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer. Read our diversity and EEO statement
This part-time, unpaid position, based in Washington, DC, provides on-the-job training and experience working with a national nonprofit organization. You will work on a variety of projects directly related to increasing and diversifying the financial support for GuideStar.
GuideStar is committed to working with you to ensure that the experience is practical and career building. We are also happy to work with you and your advisors if you would prefer to receive college credit for your work.
Support GuideStar's Development (Fundraising/Philanthropy) Team in the areas of prospect research and membership program development. This is a 10-hour-per-week position that reports to the Development Coordinator.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Development Coordinator, create pipeline of prospective foundation funders/members and system for tracking interactions with these prospects.
- Utilize various online tools and internal resources to conduct prospect research, identify top prospects based on alignment with GuideStar and foundation priorities.
- Create detailed prospect profiles, preparing at minimum 200 profiles.
- Work with GuideStar's Development Team in the formation of cultivation and solicitation strategies for prospects.
- Support the team's development of collateral materials for use in securing general operating and strategic grants and marketing materials to use in promoting GuideStar's Membership Program.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of the nonprofit sector through participation in ongoing webinar series offered by GuideStar.
- Data entry to manage CRM and donor and membership database
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A true dedication to the internship, and a commitment to coming in on time and working hard
- Ability to work independently and manage high-detail projects with professional quality
- Team player attitude, demonstrated by being flexible and responsible as well as being a self-starter
- Working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with online research tools
Who Is Eligible?
Current undergraduate and graduate college students are eligible for the internship program. To qualify, you must be pursuing a degree, certificate, or diploma (full-time or part-time) and be at least 18 years of age. You also need to be in good academic standing at your school.
What Are the Benefits?
- Hands-on nonprofit experience
- Flexible work schedule
- Students may qualify for credit towards degree requirements
Please send the following materials to the Fundraising/Development Team at email@example.com:
- Cover letter explaining interest, dates of availability, and any specific interests in fundraising/development and/or nonprofit sector
Join our team today!
Back to top
Manager of Nonprofit Feedback and Assessment
The Manager of Nonprofit Feedback and Assessment will oversee our expert research program (myphilanthropedia.org), which uses the Delphi method to identify high-impact nonprofits. The Manager will be responsible for implementing, refining, and scaling this research program. The Manager will also support other data-collection efforts to benefit nonprofits, donors, and beneficiaries.
Director, Nonprofit Strategy
San Francisco area preferred
- Oversee our structured research process from start to finish.
- Refine our strategy for recruiting expert research participants.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to disseminate the research results to an array of audiences including nonprofits, donors, the media, and other stakeholders.
- Manage data-collection efforts for building cause-specific resource pages on www.guidestar.org.
- Identify opportunities for organizations to utilize GuideStar data in their learning and growth.
- Serve as a "product owner" for nonprofit data-collection products, including presenting results of our research program, our cause-specific resource pages, and other related website products as appropriate.
- Oversee and facilitate discussions on relevant online forums using the Jive platform.
- Recruit and manage interns to support these efforts.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- 1 to 2+ years of nonprofit sector experience a plus
- Has superb organizational skills with close attention to detail
- Is comfortable working remotely with teams that are located in DC and Williamsburg
- Has the ability to take initiative and meet deadlines
- Thrives in a dynamic environment with minimal day-to-day supervision
- Has excellent oral and written communications skills
- Has the ability to work well with others and to work well independently
- Has a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Please send the following materials in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to jobsCA@guidestar.org:
- Cover letter
- Salary guidelines
Back to top
Simplify Sales Associate—Part Time
One of the 2015 goals of the Simplify API project is to secure 100 private and community foundation clients who will utilize the information gathered from the GuideStar Exchange into their automated grant application process. With assistance from our current and potential grant management software vendors we will identify opportunities and present the value proposition of the Simplify API.
The Simplify Sales Associate will be dedicated to prospecting and servicing potential private and community foundation customers who have an automated online grant application process. Associate will have thorough knowledge of the GuideStar Exchange and the Simplify API with capability of processing transactions quickly.
Asif Talukdar, Senior Director, Business Development
Williamsburg, Va., or Washington, D.C.
- Adheres to GuideStar's mission, vision, and core values to ensure that the highest level of customer service is being met.
- Prospecting and outreach to private and community foundations through phone calling and targeted marketing e-mail to sell Simplify.
- Services existing accounts, obtains orders, and establishes new accounts by planning and organizing daily work schedule to call on existing or potential opportunities.
- Dedicated expert of the Simplify API and will be an internal resource to support the sales staff.
- Serves as the Simplify liaison to the GuideStar Membership Pprogram.
- Submits orders by referring to price lists and product literature.
- Operates CRM accurately and efficiently. Keeps management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual Simplify analyses.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge of the Simplify API and GuideStar Exchange.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in business or marketing preferred
- Relevant experience in sales and/or marketing
- Customer Service experience
- A high aptitude for utilizing current technology to achieve sales goals
- General understanding of technology as well as knowledge of nonprofit space and grant application processes a plus
- CRM experience preferred
- B2B experience heavily preferred
- Familiarity with relevant computer software
- Experience in Internet usage and navigation
- Ability to develop and maintain a good rapport with a diverse constituency
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, and a creative problem solver
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative thinker with the ability to work in a rapidly changing work environment
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Back to top
Stakeholder Support Specialist
The Stakeholder Support Specialist provides e-mail, telephone, and Live Chat support to GuideStar's external audiences. Activities include daily customer interface, directing customers through order processes, channeling customer escalations to appropriate resources, understanding and making recommendations regarding customer needs, and documenting customer-facing activity in the GuideStar CRM system. Provides other stakeholder duties as need in the department.
Director of Stakeholder Support
- Advises customers and prospective customers on the uses and benefits of GuideStar products and services.
- Recommends alternate products based on cost, availability, or specifications.
- Communicates with external customers relating to their accounts.
- Manages product and nonprofit-related call, live chat, and e-mail queues and responds in a timely, knowledgeable, and courteous manner.
- Activates GuideStar services to paying clients and tracks activity though the CRM.
- Uses experience and expertise in making recommendations that will improve department efficiency and/or effectiveness.
- Effectively demonstrates GuideStar products to potential purchasers.
- Identifies and communicates trends in customer satisfaction or dissatisfaction.
- Serves as back-up to other Stakeholder personnel.
- Ability to use online forums such as chat, social networks, and blogs to effectively communicate with external audiences.
- Effectively communicates and supports nonprofit information sharing.
- Participates in cross departmental training and other duties as assigned.
The Stakeholder Support Specialist will work closely with a team of colleagues in his/her department, other GuideStar departments, and GuideStar's external stakeholders.
- Ability to work the afternoon shift. This position is 11:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. M-F.
- High school diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
- Background in customer service or sales is helpful
- Excellent phone, computer, and communication skills with exceptional interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills, and a thorough attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently to arrive at solutions and solve problems, produce quality results, prioritize multiple tasks efficiently, and meet tight deadlines and monthly productivity goals, in a continually changing environment.
- Experience using e-mail applications, CRM, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and the Internet, including various browser applications to include Live Chat, or like
- Interest in the nonprofit sector and current events affecting philanthropy
- A positive can-do attitude, good team player, and an active participant in cross functional groups
Back to top