- Home >
- About Us >
- Employment Opportunities
Join an Innovative Nonprofit That Is Changing the Nonprofit Sector!
GuideStar is the number 1 source of nonprofit information, with information on more than 1.8 million organizations.
As we celebrate our 20th anniversary, we are evolving our vision and embarking on a bold strategic initiative to expand our information and knowledge generation to enable greater social impact.
If you want to use your skills and expertise to affect social change, join us.
How to Apply
Unless noted otherwise below, e-mail cover letter, résumé, and salary guidelines in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to email@example.com.
If you prefer to mail your application, send these materials to:
4801 Courthouse Street, Suite 220
Williamsburg, VA 23188
GuideStar USA Inc. is EEO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer. Read our diversity and EEO statement
Accounting Assistant—Part-Time to Full-Time
Support the Senior Accounting Manager and CFO
Senior Accounting Manager
- Manage and input incoming vendor invoices—electronic and hard copy
- Obtain approvals, accounting codes, and W-9s for vendor invoices
- Select invoices for payment and cut checks
- Assemble, mail, and file AP check runs
- Handle issues with vendors and employees submitting invoices
- Manage AP filing system
- Maintain W-9 vendor list
- Process vendor 1099-Misc annually
- Reconcile detailed invoices and allocate expenses between departments
- Process all incoming cash/wires/credit card transactions
- Import and balance daily e-commerce credit card payments
- Monitor documentation of AR receipts between departments
- Process refunds by credit card and by check
- Balance Authorize.net against daily sales activities
- Reconcile e-commerce GL clearing account #102-00-00
- Manage American Express/BOA Merchant procedures including chargebacks
- Maintain EFT customer list
- Prepare bank deposits
- Reconcile credit card payments on Daily Activity Report
- Assist in accounting system conversion
- Assist with annual audit and Form 990 preparation
- Assist in month-end and year-end period closings
- Process vendor, credit, and EFT applications
- Enter general ledger journal entries, as necessary
- Generate and distribute monthly departmental reports
- Reconcile bank account daily, mid-month, and monthly
- Manage and sort accounting mail
- Special handling for various invoices
- Manage contract filing system and spreadsheet
- Track fixed assets and inventory
- Maintain and monitor record-retention requirements
- Perform other duties as assigned
- College degree preferable
- 2-4 years accounting experience—nonprofit accounting a plus
Job Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge and experience in GAAP accounting practices
- Experience with MS Great Plains preferable
- Experience in accounting system conversions a plus
- Desire to learn new accounting systems in depth
- Expertise in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook
- High level of interpersonal and organizational skills
- Efficiently multi-task in an environment of shifting priorities
Back to top
This part-time, unpaid position, based in Washington, DC, provides on-the-job training and experience working with a national nonprofit organization. You will work on a variety of projects directly related to increasing and diversifying the financial support for GuideStar.
GuideStar is committed to working with you to ensure that the experience is practical and career building. We are also happy to work with you and your advisors if you would prefer to receive college credit for your work.
Support GuideStar's Development (Fundraising/Philanthropy) Team in the areas of prospect research and membership program development. This is a 10-hour-per-week position that reports to the Development Coordinator.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Development Coordinator, create pipeline of prospective foundation funders/members and system for tracking interactions with these prospects.
- Utilize various online tools and internal resources to conduct prospect research, identify top prospects based on alignment with GuideStar and foundation priorities.
- Create detailed prospect profiles, preparing at minimum 200 profiles.
- Work with GuideStar's Development Team in the formation of cultivation and solicitation strategies for prospects.
- Support the team's development of collateral materials for use in securing general operating and strategic grants and marketing materials to use in promoting GuideStar's Membership Program.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of the nonprofit sector through participation in ongoing webinar series offered by GuideStar.
- Data entry to manage CRM and donor and membership database
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A true dedication to the internship, and a commitment to coming in on time and working hard
- Ability to work independently and manage high-detail projects with professional quality
- Team player attitude, demonstrated by being flexible and responsible as well as being a self-starter
- Working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with online research tools
Who Is Eligible?
Current undergraduate and graduate college students are eligible for the internship program. To qualify, you must be pursuing a degree, certificate, or diploma (full-time or part-time) and be at least 18 years of age. You also need to be in good academic standing at your school.
What Are the Benefits?
- Hands-on nonprofit experience
- Flexible work schedule
- Students may qualify for credit towards degree requirements
Please send the following materials to the Fundraising/Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter explaining interest, dates of availability, and any specific interests in fundraising/development and/or nonprofit sector
Join our team today!
Back to top
Software Engineer (.NET)
Design, develop, and maintain software and database applications including server-side and client-side Web components.
Senior Director, Data Operations
- A focus on delighting the customer
- Building high quality, innovative software solutions that deliver value for customers
- Develop solutions across all layers, from the database to the user interface
- Work closely with Product Owners to understand solution requirements
- Practice Agile software development
- Ability to learn quickly, function with limited supervision, solve issues, and stay in close communication with functional teams
- Performs other duties as assigned
Interact with Agile team members and those in GuideStar outside of the team in execution of responsibilities; work with vendors in seeking solutions to GuideStar's initiatives
- 1 to 2+ years experience with .Net, C#, ASP.Net, and Application development
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Proactive self-starter and results oriented
- Flexible and adaptable with good interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership, self-awareness, and teaming capabilities
- MS Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working with Agile and Scrum
- AJAX libraries (jQuery)
- T-SQL and SQL Server
- Experience with JSON, XML, and REST Web Services
Back to top