Real Alternatives exists to provide life-affirming alternatives to abortion services throughout the nation. These compassionate support services empower women to protect their reproductive health, avoid crisis pregnancies, choose childbirth rather than abortion, receive adoption education, and improve parenting skills.
Mr. Kevin I. Bagatta Esq.
Mr. Thomas A. Lang Esq.
7810 Allentown Blvd Suite 304
Harrisburg, PA 17112 USA
pregnancy, free pregnancy tests, pregnancy support, abortion alternatives, adoption, parenting instruction, teen pregnancy prevention, abortion
Family Services (Adolescent Parents) (P45)
Counseling Support Groups (F60)
Right to Life (R62)
IRS Filing Requirement
This organization is required to file an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.
Add a problem overview to your profile.Update now
What are the organization's current programs, how do they measure success, and who do the programs serve?
SOURCE: Self-reported by organization
Pregnancy and Parenting Support Services Programs
Real Alternatives administers the statewide Pennsylvania program for the PA Department of Human Services, the statewide Michigan program for the MI Health and Human Services, and the Indian Program for the IN State Department of Health.
Female Youth/Adolescents (14 - 19 years)
Adolescent and Young Adult Healthy Lifestyle Program
Real Alternatives publishes and advertises the Concerned Parents Report website, www.concernedparents.com. Concerned Parents Report is a national internet publication of the Organization dedicated to reporting information and imparting knowledge to parents so that they can empower their children to make the healthiest choice for their reproductive health – living a chaste lifestyle.
Real Alternatives also publishes and advertises the www.LoveFacts.org website. LoveFacts.org is dedicated to reporting information and imparting knowledge so young adults can be empowered to make the healthiest choice for their reproductive health – living a chaste lifestyle.
Youth/Adolescents only (14 - 19 years)
Where we workNew!
Five powerful questions that require reflection about what really matters - results.
SOURCE: Self-reported by organization
What is the organization aiming to accomplish?
What are the organization's key strategies for making this happen?
What are the organization's capabilities for doing this?
How will they know if they are making progress?
What have and haven't they accomplished so far?
Real Alternatives, through its funded Service Providers, offers a comprehensive umbrella of core and support services that provide women direct support during and after the unexpected pregnancy. This umbrella of services also includes programs to encourage new lifestyle choices that will prevent unexpected pregnancies in the future.
Real Alternatives funds Service Providers to provide a wide array of services to women in need at the local level. In turn, a woman is able to make more informed choices concerning her child, as well as begin to plan for a future that will include independence and self-sufficiency.
For those in a unexpected pregnancy, core services are delivered by providing direct counseling support during the parenting and adoption decision. Services include:
• counseling and case management in a non-judgmental atmosphere
• education on fetal development and the health and nutritional needs of pregnant women, through the use of books, videos, brochures, and fetal models
• pre- and post-natal education; pregnancy and certified childbirth classes
• access to information on medical care, hospital clinics, doctors, health care facilities, and other professional services; assistance with identifying drug and alcohol programs, if needed
• adoption service information
• life-skills training for parenting and nutritional needs
• availability of other community social services
• tangible aid in the form of maternity clothes, food and furniture
• referrals to maternity homes
• referrals to other programs for the physical and emotional needs of the women experiencing the stress of a crisis pregnancy.
For women who have given birth, support services are delivered by providing direct parenting or adoption support because of their decision not to abort. Such services take the form of:
• parenting counseling and classes
• education referrals for upgrading skills or obtaining a GED
• child care referrals
• information on Women Infants and Children (WIC) programs
• job service and vocational training opportunities availability
• tangible aid in the form of baby and infant items and other needed supplies.
For those who come to our Service Providers thinking they are experiencing a unexpected pregnancy, self-administered pregnancy test kits are available. For those in this category who are not pregnant, support services are delivered by providing:
• information on the risks of sexually transmitted diseases
• relationship counseling
• decision-making education
• teen pregnancy prevention programs with the goal of modifying risk-taking behavior that lowers out-of-wedlock births and sexually transmitted diseases.
Real Alternatives provides Service Providers funding for:
• Confidential counseling and mentoring
• Non-judgmental atmosphere of understanding and support
• Free pregnancy self-test kits
• Clothing, food and furniture pantries
• Temporary shelter
• Pregnancy, childbirth and parenting classes
• Referrals to other community agencies and medical resources
• Chastity education to modify risky lifestyle behavior
• Adoption information
• Assistance with education and career decisions
• Other related services necessary for the well-being of the mother and child
• Connect clients with a pregnancy support counselor nearest to them
• If a client is not sure if she is pregnant, we can provide her with a free pregnancy test kit.
• We help the client make informed choices and provide counseling to support her every step of the way.
• If she is in school, we help her find ways to continue her education.
• Referrals to other supportive agencies for medical care, food, financial help, and any other support the client needs to care for her baby.
• We can help the client with maternity and baby clothing, food and furniture---whatever she need to keep her baby and her healthy.
• If the client doesn't have a place to live, we can search for temporary shelter for her---a safe place where she can live before and even after her baby is born.
Real Alternatives key Outcomes include:
1. Increased Childbirth Choice
2. Increased Support
3. Increased Adoption Knowledge
4. Improved Parenting
5. Decreased Risky Lifestyle - Improved Health
Real Alternatives Earns Third "Seal of Excellence" Accreditation by passing rigorous ethics and accountability standards.
Real Alternatives has once again been accredited with the Seal of Excellence by the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organization's (PANO) for successfully meeting the 56 criteria of the Standards for Excellence program.
Real Alternatives was reviewed by a "jury of its peers" who examined Real Alternatives for compliance with PANO's Standards for Excellence: An Ethics and Accountability Code for the Nonprofit Sector.
The Standards for Excellence is based on the fundamental values such as honesty, integrity, fairness, respect, trust, responsibility, and accountability. Real Alternatives' programs and services, management, fundraising, and financial practices were examined in depth using 56 criteria before the accreditation was granted.
Real Alternatives, as Pennsylvania's first-in-the-nation Pregnancy and Parenting Support Program, has served over 260,000 women the last 20 years. Started in 1996 to offer women counseling and mentoring support as an alternative to abortion, the statewide Program has provided over 1.3 million support service visits to women throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
In fiscal year 2014-2015 (ending June 30, 2015), 19,415 women were provided comprehensive counseling, mentoring, education, and support services that were available to them throughout their nine months of pregnancy and twelve months after the birth of their baby.
The program received funding of $7.263 million that fiscal year through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. The Program's administrative cost ratio was 7.24%.
In 2013, Real Alternatives was asked to start-up and administer the Michigan Pregnancy and Parenting Support Services Program modeled after the successful Pennsylvania Program. That regional program has served 3000 women to date.
In 2014, Real Alternatives was asked to start-up and administer the Indiana Pregnancy and Parenting Support Services Program modeled after the successful Pennsylvania Program. That regional program has served 15,000 women to date.
Real Alternatives looks to the future and expects to continue to grow its programs nationally so more women in unexpected pregnancies can be provided comprehensive and compassionate life-affirming services.
Need more info on this nonprofit?
The people, governance practices, and partners that make the organization tick.
as of 6/23/2017
Ms. Carolyn Astfalk
Term: Aug 2010 - Aug 2015
President & CEO
Kyle Stuckey, CPA
Ann Marie Manning, M.D.
SOURCE: Self-reported by organization
GuideStar worked with BoardSource, the national leader in nonprofit board leadership and governance, to create this section, which enables organizations and donors to transparently share information about essential board leadership practices.SOURCE: Self-reported by organization
Does the board conduct a formal orientation for new board members and require all board members to sign a written agreement regarding their roles, responsibilities, and expectations?
Has the board conducted a formal, written assessment of the chief executive within the past year?
Have the board and senior staff reviewed the conflict-of-interest policy and completed and signed disclosure statements in the past year?
Does the board ensure an inclusive board member recruitment process that results in diversity of thought and leadership?
Has the board conducted a formal, written self-assessment of its performance within the past three years?