TUSKEGEE AIRMEN SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION

Supporting careers in aviation, aerospace, STEM and beyond...

aka TASF   |   Los Angeles, CA   |  www.taisf.org

Mission

The mission of the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation (TASF) is to honor the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen by providing motivation, access and scholarships to assist financially and academically deserving students in the pursuit of careers in aviation, aerospace, STEM and beyond.

Ruling year info

2004

Executive Director

Edward H Grice

Main address

1816 S. Figueroa Street, #L5

Los Angeles, CA 90015 USA

Show more contact info

EIN

87-0731160

NTEE code info

Military/Veterans' Organizations (W30)

Scholarships, Student Financial Aid, Awards (B82)

IRS filing requirement

This organization is required to file an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.

Sign in or create an account to view Form(s) 990 for 2022, 2021 and 2020.
Register now

Programs and results

What we aim to solve

SOURCE: Self-reported by organization

Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation (TASF) with its mission of providing motivation, access, and scholarships to financially and academically deserving students, seeks to expand educational opportunities for under-resourced students. With 57 Tuskegee Airmen Chapters in 34 states in the US and Virgin Islands, TASF works with local chapters to identify high performing students and provide them with critical financial assistance. These one-time gifts are designed to reduce financial barriers to a college education and move students one step closer to earning degrees in aviation, aerospace, STEM, and beyond.

Educational attainment is more important to economic success than ever before. The share of jobs that require postsecondary education has doubled over the last 40 years. As more jobs require more education, workers with only a high school diploma are finding it increasingly difficult to enter the middle class.

Our programs

SOURCE: Self-reported by organization

What are the organization's current programs, how do they measure success, and who do the programs serve?

Fly Right STEM Scholars

Fly Right STEM Scholarships are funded by corporate entities and individuals interested in supporting careers in science, technology, engineering and math. Scholarship competition is nation-wide with financial awards provided without regard to race or cultural identity.

Population(s) Served

Where we work

Goals & Strategy

SOURCE: Self-reported by organization

Learn about the organization's key goals, strategies, capabilities, and progress.

Charting impact

Four powerful questions that require reflection about what really matters - results.

Alleviating the financial pressures of getting into college is our goal. The benefits of postsecondary education are well documented and have major implications for economic growth, equality, and social mobility. Getting a postsecondary credential leads to greater lifetime earnings, lower unemployment, and lower poverty. Over the course of one's working lifetime, the median earnings of bachelor's degree recipients are 65 percent higher than median earnings of high-school graduates. College graduates are also more likely to find a job; the unemployment rate for bachelor's degree recipients is half the unemployment rate of high school graduates.

In response to the growing earnings gap between those with and without postsecondary education, a report from the Pew Economic Mobility Project remarked that, “unless something is done to boost the number of young people earning postsecondary credentials, millions of Americans will continue to be limited in their economic mobility." Without a college degree, children born in the lowest fifth of the income distribution children have a 45 percent chance of staying in the bottom, and just a 5 percent chance of moving to the top. Yet when these same children go on to earn a college degree, their chances of making it to the top nearly quadruple, and their chances of moving out of the bottom increase by 50 percent. TASF works to inform the public about the deficiencies that currently exist surrounding minority participation in college and the workplace. We work with the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) to encourage workplace giving and regularly solicit the 3,000 plus members and friends of the Tuskegee Airmen community to support high school graduates desiring to enter college.

TASF has an investment fund of $2.1 million which supports its scholarships. Members of the Finance committee oversees the fund to ensure maximum financial benefit. A well-balanced portfolio ensures that capital is available for educational support and the organization has adequate resources for sustainability.

Each year TASF provides 40 or more $1,500 scholarships to students across the US entering their first year of college. Since its inception, TASF has provided over 1,400 scholarship awards totaling nearly $2 million. In cooperation with individual donors and corporate sponsors TASF's desire is to increase the size and number of scholarships, becoming more competitive with today's increasing costs of a college education. In 2017 Edison International provided grants to increase STEM grants from $1,500 to $2,500. Aerospace corporations such as Boeing, Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin has provided ongoing support, however, it is not adequate to keep up with rising educational costs; more is needed.

Financials

TUSKEGEE AIRMEN SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION
lock

Unlock financial insights by subscribing to our monthly plan.

Subscribe

Unlock nonprofit financial insights that will help you make more informed decisions. Try our monthly plan today.

  • Analyze a variety of pre-calculated financial metrics
  • Access beautifully interactive analysis and comparison tools
  • Compare nonprofit financials to similar organizations

Want to see how you can enhance your nonprofit research and unlock more insights?
Learn more about GuideStar Pro.

Operations

The people, governance practices, and partners that make the organization tick.

lock

Connect with nonprofit leaders

Subscribe

Build relationships with key people who manage and lead nonprofit organizations with GuideStar Pro. Try a low commitment monthly plan today.

  • Analyze a variety of pre-calculated financial metrics
  • Access beautifully interactive analysis and comparison tools
  • Compare nonprofit financials to similar organizations

Want to see how you can enhance your nonprofit research and unlock more insights? Learn More about GuideStar Pro.

lock

Connect with nonprofit leaders

Subscribe

Build relationships with key people who manage and lead nonprofit organizations with GuideStar Pro. Try a low commitment monthly plan today.

  • Analyze a variety of pre-calculated financial metrics
  • Access beautifully interactive analysis and comparison tools
  • Compare nonprofit financials to similar organizations

Want to see how you can enhance your nonprofit research and unlock more insights? Learn More about GuideStar Pro.

TUSKEGEE AIRMEN SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION

Board of directors
as of 06/20/2019
SOURCE: Self-reported by organization
Board chair

Clark "Bill" Robinson

Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation

Term: 2005 -

Theodore Lumpkin

Documented Original Tuskegee Airman

Jerry Hodges, Jr.

Documented Original Tuskegee Airman

Linda Sunnye Simpson

Resource Development

Errol Lewis

US Air Force Administrator

Charles Jones

Ret. Pilot/Self-Employed

Lowell Steward

Air Force Ret.

Bill Clark Robinson

Air Force Ret.

Joyce Tomlin

TAI Chapter President

Dr. Lisa Bratton

Tuskegee University Professor

Cedric Flounary

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Brig. Gen Leon Johnson

Ret. U S Air Force

Board leadership practices

SOURCE: Self-reported by organization

GuideStar worked with BoardSource, the national leader in nonprofit board leadership and governance, to create this section.

  • Board orientation and education
    Does the board conduct a formal orientation for new board members and require all board members to sign a written agreement regarding their roles, responsibilities, and expectations? No
  • CEO oversight
    Has the board conducted a formal, written assessment of the chief executive within the past year ? Yes
  • Ethics and transparency
    Have the board and senior staff reviewed the conflict-of-interest policy and completed and signed disclosure statements in the past year? Yes
  • Board composition
    Does the board ensure an inclusive board member recruitment process that results in diversity of thought and leadership? Yes
  • Board performance
    Has the board conducted a formal, written self-assessment of its performance within the past three years? No