Giant Steps Illinois Inc.
Serving the Autism Community
Giant Steps Illinois Inc.
as of March 2023
as of March 13, 2023
The people, governance practices, and partners that make the organization tick.
Dr. Sylvia Smith
With 17 years of service on the Giant Steps Board of Directors and a background in the field of education Dr. Sylvia Smith has assumed the role of Giant Steps' executive director. Dr. Smith's credentials include a Doctorate in Instructional Technology, Master of Science in Curriculum and Supervision, and Bachelor of Science degree in Special Education. Dr. Smith has written and taught at the graduate level, including developing graduate courses for Benedictine University, instructional design for Northern Illinois University's Instructional Technology Graduate Program, guest lectured at Northwestern University, and has published several articles in the areas of assessment and evaluation.
Dr. Smith's corporate experiences include vice president and chief learning officer for an international technology company, formerly known as McGill Digital Solutions, where her duties included management of the U.S. offices and the design of efficient corporate processes and procedures used to develop e-learning programs for companies such as Prudential Insurance (UK), Sears, GM and Chrysler. In 2006 Dr. Smith founded CadenaSmith Enterprises, where she researched, designed and developed See-n-Read® Learning Tools, a suite of patented and copyrighted reading intervention tools that help improve reading fluency and comprehension.
Number of employees
Source: IRS Form 990
Giant Steps Illinois Inc.Officers, directors, trustees, and key employees
SOURCE: IRS Form 990
There are no highest paid employees recorded for this organization.
Giant Steps Illinois Inc.Board of directors
as of 03/09/2023
Board of directors data
Mr. Chris Terzich
Middle Market Banking at CIBC
Term: 2023 - 2026
Debra K. Nauman
Nauman Enterprises Inc., DBA Simply Elegant Catering
Development Solutions (DSI)
Muller Accounting Firm
RREEF Management LLC
Board leadership practices
GuideStar worked with BoardSource, the national leader in nonprofit board leadership and governance, to create this section.
Board orientation and educationDoes the board conduct a formal orientation for new board members and require all board members to sign a written agreement regarding their roles, responsibilities, and expectations? Yes
CEO oversightHas the board conducted a formal, written assessment of the chief executive within the past year ? No
Ethics and transparencyHave the board and senior staff reviewed the conflict-of-interest policy and completed and signed disclosure statements in the past year? No
Board compositionDoes the board ensure an inclusive board member recruitment process that results in diversity of thought and leadership? No
Board performanceHas the board conducted a formal, written self-assessment of its performance within the past three years? No
Who works and leads organizations that serve our diverse communities? Candid partnered with CHANGE Philanthropy on this demographic section.
The organization's leader identifies as:
Race & ethnicity
Equity strategiesLast updated: 03/09/2023
GuideStar partnered with Equity in the Center - an organization that works to shift mindsets, practices, and systems to increase racial equity - to create this section. Learn more
- We disaggregate data to adjust programming goals to keep pace with changing needs of the communities we support.
- We employ non-traditional ways of gathering feedback on programs and trainings, which may include interviews, roundtables, and external reviews with/by community stakeholders.
- We disaggregate data by demographics, including race, in every policy and program measured.
- We have long-term strategic plans and measurable goals for creating a culture such that one’s race identity has no influence on how they fare within the organization.
- We seek individuals from various race backgrounds for board and executive director/CEO positions within our organization.
- We have community representation at the board level, either on the board itself or through a community advisory board.
- We help senior leadership understand how to be inclusive leaders with learning approaches that emphasize reflection, iteration, and adaptability.
- We engage everyone, from the board to staff levels of the organization, in race equity work and ensure that individuals understand their roles in creating culture such that one’s race identity has no influence on how they fare within the organization.
ContractorsFiscal year ending
Professional fundraisersFiscal year ending
SOURCE: IRS Form 990 Schedule G