Childhood Carries On.
as of March 2023
as of March 13, 2023
The people, governance practices, and partners that make the organization tick.
Chief Executive Officer
Sara Deren is the founder and CEO of Experience Camps, a national nonprofit that addresses childhood grief as a public health priority. The organization is working to galvanize a movement to reach America's 5.2 million grieving children, and has been recognized for its transformative no-cost, week-long sleepaway camps for children whose parent or sibling has died. Under Deren's leadership, Experience Camps has invested more than 450,000 hours with grieving children, with 10 program sites from coast to coast and a waiting list that is growing year over year. As CEO, Deren brings leadership acumen from more than a decade in the financial sector, including Morgan Stanley and Capital Advisors, and an MBA from Columbia University. She was named a “Patriots Difference Maker” by the New England Patriots Foundation and is a regular contributor to outlets ranging from Thrive to Fast Company.
Number of employees
Source: IRS Form 990
Experience CampsOfficers, directors, trustees, and key employees
SOURCE: IRS Form 990
There are no highest paid employees recorded for this organization.
Experience CampsBoard of directors
as of 03/21/2023
Board of directors data
Leitner Sarch Consultants
UBS Wealth Management
Beachside Strategy, LLC
Serra Falk Goldman
Senior Executive in Hospitality & Events
The Human OS
Weingard Wealth Management of Raymond James
Rialto Capital Advisors
Greater Good Charities
Nicole Van Valen
Aetna, a CVS health Company
Board leadership practices
GuideStar worked with BoardSource, the national leader in nonprofit board leadership and governance, to create this section.
Board orientation and educationDoes the board conduct a formal orientation for new board members and require all board members to sign a written agreement regarding their roles, responsibilities, and expectations? Yes
CEO oversightHas the board conducted a formal, written assessment of the chief executive within the past year ? Yes
Ethics and transparencyHave the board and senior staff reviewed the conflict-of-interest policy and completed and signed disclosure statements in the past year? Yes
Board compositionDoes the board ensure an inclusive board member recruitment process that results in diversity of thought and leadership? Yes
Board performanceHas the board conducted a formal, written self-assessment of its performance within the past three years? Yes
Who works and leads organizations that serve our diverse communities? Candid partnered with CHANGE Philanthropy on this demographic section.
The organization's leader identifies as:
Race & ethnicity
Equity strategiesLast updated: 06/16/2021
GuideStar partnered with Equity in the Center - an organization that works to shift mindsets, practices, and systems to increase racial equity - to create this section. Learn more
- We review compensation data across the organization (and by staff levels) to identify disparities by race.
- We ask team members to identify racial disparities in their programs and / or portfolios.
- We analyze disaggregated data and root causes of race disparities that impact the organization's programs, portfolios, and the populations served.
- We disaggregate data to adjust programming goals to keep pace with changing needs of the communities we support.
- We employ non-traditional ways of gathering feedback on programs and trainings, which may include interviews, roundtables, and external reviews with/by community stakeholders.
- We disaggregate data by demographics, including race, in every policy and program measured.
- We have long-term strategic plans and measurable goals for creating a culture such that one’s race identity has no influence on how they fare within the organization.
- We have a promotion process that anticipates and mitigates implicit and explicit biases about people of color serving in leadership positions.
- We seek individuals from various race backgrounds for board and executive director/CEO positions within our organization.
- We have community representation at the board level, either on the board itself or through a community advisory board.
- We help senior leadership understand how to be inclusive leaders with learning approaches that emphasize reflection, iteration, and adaptability.
- We measure and then disaggregate job satisfaction and retention data by race, function, level, and/or team.
- We engage everyone, from the board to staff levels of the organization, in race equity work and ensure that individuals understand their roles in creating culture such that one’s race identity has no influence on how they fare within the organization.