Fort Bend Family Promise
Helping Families Changing Lives
Fort Bend Family Promise
as of March 2023
as of March 13, 2023
The people, governance practices, and partners that make the organization tick.
Ms. Vera L Johnson
Vera L. Johnson is the current Executive Director for Fort Bend Family Promise, serving since 2011. Johnson came to Fort Bend Family Promise with nearly twenty years of experience in the non-profit sector. Most recently, she served as vice president of program operations for the Coalition for the Homeless Houston & Harris County and preceding that position, for fifteen years as the vice president of client services with AIDS Foundation Houston.
Ms. Johnson was born in San Antonio Texas and after being held as a newborn in 1967 by First Lady of the United States, Claudia Alta "Lady Bird" Taylor Johnson (wife of President Lyndon B. Johnson) -- thereafter she became known to her family and friends as "Lady Bird."Ms. Johnson's father is Marion Johnson, who worked as a Derrickman and Tool Pusher for a local Texas based Oil Company. Her mother, Joyce Brawley, worked in the area of children protective services. Her parents were emergency based foster care parents and Ms. Johnson had one hundred (100) plus sisters and brothers over her childhood years at home.
At an early age, Ms. Johnson's mother instilled the basis of faith in our heavenly Father, love of family and to alway offer a helping hand to your fellow man. She graduated magna cum laude from Stroman High School in Victoria, Texas. She then achieved her Bachelor's of Science from Texas College and her Master's of Science from Texas Southern University. Ms. Johnson and her 19-year-old son reside in Sugar Land and have been Fort Bend County residents for twenty plus years. Ms. Johnson has a deep, grounded sensitivity and passion for this interfaith work with children and families in crisis.
Number of employees
Source: IRS Form 990
Fort Bend Family PromiseOfficers, directors, trustees, and key employees
SOURCE: IRS Form 990
There are no highest paid employees recorded for this organization.
Fort Bend Family PromiseBoard of directors
as of 02/01/2023
Board of directors data
Mr. Jim Uschkrat
Term: 2020 - 2027
Mrs. Karen Jennings
Term: 2017 - 2027
Fort Bend Independent School District
The Telfair Firm
Fort Bend County Government
Magellan International LP
Board leadership practices
GuideStar worked with BoardSource, the national leader in nonprofit board leadership and governance, to create this section.
Board orientation and educationDoes the board conduct a formal orientation for new board members and require all board members to sign a written agreement regarding their roles, responsibilities, and expectations? Yes
CEO oversightHas the board conducted a formal, written assessment of the chief executive within the past year ? Yes
Ethics and transparencyHave the board and senior staff reviewed the conflict-of-interest policy and completed and signed disclosure statements in the past year? Yes
Board compositionDoes the board ensure an inclusive board member recruitment process that results in diversity of thought and leadership? Yes
Board performanceHas the board conducted a formal, written self-assessment of its performance within the past three years? Yes
Who works and leads organizations that serve our diverse communities? Candid partnered with CHANGE Philanthropy on this demographic section.
The organization's leader identifies as:
Race & ethnicity
Equity strategiesLast updated: 02/12/2022
GuideStar partnered with Equity in the Center - an organization that works to shift mindsets, practices, and systems to increase racial equity - to create this section. Learn more
- We review compensation data across the organization (and by staff levels) to identify disparities by race.
- We ask team members to identify racial disparities in their programs and / or portfolios.
- We disaggregate data to adjust programming goals to keep pace with changing needs of the communities we support.
- We employ non-traditional ways of gathering feedback on programs and trainings, which may include interviews, roundtables, and external reviews with/by community stakeholders.
- We disaggregate data by demographics, including race, in every policy and program measured.
- We have long-term strategic plans and measurable goals for creating a culture such that one’s race identity has no influence on how they fare within the organization.
- We seek individuals from various race backgrounds for board and executive director/CEO positions within our organization.
- We have community representation at the board level, either on the board itself or through a community advisory board.
- We help senior leadership understand how to be inclusive leaders with learning approaches that emphasize reflection, iteration, and adaptability.
- We measure and then disaggregate job satisfaction and retention data by race, function, level, and/or team.
- We engage everyone, from the board to staff levels of the organization, in race equity work and ensure that individuals understand their roles in creating culture such that one’s race identity has no influence on how they fare within the organization.